PUMPKIN CARVING!!!

Even though the hubs and I have never been into Halloween, we have always loved to carve pumpkins.

Our first year of marriage...


The hubs is a big fan of BYU football!

Last year...


The boys are a big fan of McQueen!

This year, we did a couple of different ones...


The hubs opted for Superman! I love the Dark Knight! And my little guy wanted a My O'Lantern. Clever kid, his name is Jack.

How do you preserve your pumpkin through till Halloween?

Here are the simple steps:
1. Remove dirt: Wipe the exterior surfaces of the pumpkin clean using a damp cloth.
2.Make a bleach solution of 1 tablespoon of bleach per quart of water and put it in a spray bottle.
3. Spray the pumpkin inside and all cut areas of the pumpkin with the solution.  This will kill much of the surface bacteria and mold that cause rotting.
4. Let it penetrate and dry for about 20 minutes.
5. Next, rub all of the carved or cut surfaces with petroleum jelly. This will keep out new bacteria and molds as well as dramatically reduce the dehydration!
6. Wipe away excess with a paper towel.
7. Now, keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and try to keep it as cool as possible (but above freezing!) and you should get at least a week's enjoyment out of it! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love that you are taking a moment to comment! Although I absolutely appreciate, consider and read each and every comment, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious or spam like.

Pin It button on image hover